[C++-sig] Generating API documentation when using boost::python

Murray Cumming murrayc at murrayc.com
Thu Apr 15 10:53:02 CEST 2010

I tried running pydoc on my python module,
(implemented here
but the output has lots of stuff that is uninteresting to Python coders,
even after using docstring_options. For instance:

In particular, it
a) Mentions a Boost.Python.instance base class.
b) Mentions stuff like "__instance_size__ = 84"
b) Mentions the __setitem__, __getitem__ and __len__ implementation
details of the [] syntax.
c) Shows the arg1 self argument for each method.
d) Shows just "object" for some of my argument types.. How can I say
what specific type they are.
e) Likewise, just shows "object" for my return types.

(If anyone can suggest a better alternative to nasty pydoc, I'd be

murrayc at murrayc.com