[C++-sig] boost.build or distutils?

Blair Hall bidihall at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 06:12:03 CET 2010

I have recently built a Python module using Boost.Python that gives me
access to a library of C++ classes and functions. It works very nicely :-)
Now I would like to be able to distribute it to friends, etc.

I am confused about the best way to do this.

I am happy to use bjam to build the extension module. I am working on
Windows and have the MSVC9 Express compiler. I also have Python 2.5.4
installed.

Is there some way to use distutils to build a windows installer that will
simply place my binaries in the correct location on a target machine (which
we will assume is also Windows and has some version of Python 2.5.x
installed)? As far as I can see, distutils is used to build the extension
again and I have not had success with this so far (probably need to upgrade
to Python 2.6). It seems silly to be struggling with this problem when bjam
can do the the build without problems.

Can anyone offer advice on how I should proceed?