[C++-sig] Please help: boost python 1.41 extension problem

Jim Bosch talljimbo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 22:06:13 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 12:38 -0800, lin yun wrote:

> I did not mention that I had no problem with Boost 1.34, on the same
> system. Also I ever tried Boost 1.34 and 1.37 on Fedora 7, I got
> exactly the same result: Boost 1.34 worked fine while 1.37 failed on
> extension test. The test I ran was the example test from boost
> package: libs/python/example/quickstart/, which was recommended in
> the boost python installation instruction. There was no any personal
> code involved.
>
> I wonder if you, or anyone else had related experience ?

I have not, but I haven't tried boost > 1.34.1 on any Red Hat distros.

I can confirm that this example compiles successfully with Boost 1.40
and the latest trunk on Ubuntu 9.10 (gcc 4.4.1).

You may have noticed the line gcc aborts on:

>         >
>         > ../../../../boost/type_traits/detail/cv_traits_impl.hpp:37:
>         internal
>         > compiler error: in make_rtl_for_nonlocal_decl, at
>         cp/decl.c:5067
>         >

has not changed between Boost 1.34 and 1.35, but it refers to the macro
BOOST_STATIC_CONSTANT, which is defined in boost/config/suffix.hpp, and
reflects whether a compiler supports in-class initialization of static
integral constant members.  Perhaps your compiler does not fully support
this feature, but boost thinks it does?

Try adding the line

#define BOOST_NO_INCLASS_MEMBER_INITIALIZATION

to boost/config/user.hpp.  Then recompile boost.

Jim Bosch