[C++-sig] Status of Numpy support in boost python

Stefan Seefeld seefeld at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 8 14:08:31 CET 2010

On 03/08/2010 07:32 AM, Pim Schellart wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> we are working on a project for which it would be extremely useful if
> numpy arrays could be passed as arguments to wrapped C++ methods.
> On the website I cannot find any evidence that this is currently
> supported by Boost Python.
> Is this (or will this be) implemented?

At present, boost.python provides an 'array' type that corresponds to
Python's numpy.ndarray.
However, the wrapper isn't rich enough for example to pass raw data
pointers, making it not suitable for some applications.

Docs for the existing facilities can be found at
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0/libs/python/doc/v2/numeric.html.

We have had a couple of discussions about improving boost.python's
support for numpy, but nothing materialized yet. May be we should rally
up enough momentum to get this done.

Thanks,
         Stefan