[C++-sig] Ownership of a C++ object extended in Python using wrapper

Alexandre Hamez alexandre.hamez at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 12:10:39 CET 2010

Hi all,

	I have a C++ library that needs to store in a hash map user's code, that is, Python-extended objects. To make the C++ interface available to Python, I use boost::python::wrapper, as stated in the tutorial (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_42_0/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/exposing.html#python.class_virtual_functions). Because I store this extend objects, I need to tell Python that I've got a reference on these objects.
	A thread from 2007 (http://mail.python.org/pipermail/cplusplus-sig/2007-March/011790.html) states there is a problem for this particular use case, but in the end, no solution is given. So my question is the following: as of today, what is the correct way to  tell Python we hold a reference to Python extend objects of C++ classes, using the boost::python::wrapper mechanism?

	Thanks,
Alexandre Hamez