[C++-sig] Callbacks in PyBindGen

Gustavo Carneiro gjcarneiro at gmail.com
Wed May 19 11:36:07 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 14:23, cammm <cameron.royal at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I've just started playing with pybindgen and having used pyobject plus
> and
> boost::python before I have to say, it is a breathe of fresh air.
>
> Simple, explicit, fast and written in python. I'm not a fan of automatic
> coverage / source code parsing, explicit description of the python
> interface
> doesn't take that long and validates what you are doing. It is also nice
> not
> having thousands of files and a large build process as you get with boost,
> when all you want is a nice way to do python bindings.
>
> Many thanks to you Gustavo for a brilliant project and I encourage everyone
> to try it out and get behind him to help develop it.

Thanks, glad you like it :-)

> One thing I would really like to see go in is callback methods. Was there
> anything technical blocking this or just a case of haven't gotten to it
> yet?
> You mention in the docs it is easy to working around with some extra code,
> do you have a simple example of that working?

I have not enough time and motivation.  And I'm not sure how much effort it
would take.

There is some callback support code in NS-3 (www.nsnam.org), but in NS-3
"callbacks" are actually objects.  It's not a very simple example to learn
from.

I will try to come up with a simple example soon.

> Again, kudos and thanks :-)
> -
> Cameron
> --