[C++-sig] New Major-Release Boost.Python Development

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Fri Aug 26 19:28:09 CEST 2011

On 25 Aug 2011 at 13:59, Jim Bosch wrote:

> - For other Boost.Python experts on this list: do you have existing code
> or development time you'd like to contribute?

Firstly, I must commend you as you're a better man than I for
initiating this. I mostly chase money these past few years, and I
don't like myself for it.

About a year ago I promised someone in here I'd refactor the BPL
interface to native code to support calling a list of functors every
time BPL goes in or out of native code. This would allow the Python
GIL to be released or reacquired, or indeed many other useful things
e.g. benchmarking.

At the time I had a free window of about a month in the near future,
so I thought my promise worth giving. Unfortunately, the project I
was working on at the time had unexpected problems, and the month got
gobbled, so I broke my promise.

I won't make that same mistake this time, not least because I have a
packed schedule for the upcoming year. I might also add that the
number of people willing to fund development in BPL appears to have
dropped off a cliff since 2008, so that doesn't help focus minds
either. Maybe the release of C++1x might reinvigorate things
hopefully.

Nevertheless, I'd like to keep informed. If you put it on github I'll
stick a watch on it :)

BTW, how has the Python3k port worked out? I'm not sure if it's been
mainlined yet has it?

Best of luck!

Niall

--
Technology & Consulting Services - ned Productions Limited.
http://www.nedproductions.biz/. VAT reg: IE 9708311Q. Company no: