[C++-sig] New Major-Release Boost.Python Development

Jim Bosch talljimbo at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 20:25:13 CEST 2011

On 08/26/2011 04:17 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> What sort of improvements did you have in mind?

My list includes:

- Propagating constness to Python (essentially already done as an
extension, but it could have a much nicer interface if I could mess with
class_ itself).

- Make custom registry and template-based conversions more accessible.
The former may just need more documentation, but the rvalue converters
in particular don't seem to have been intended as part of the public API
originally, and I think they're an important part of the library.
Template-based conversions are even more buried in the details - you
have to specialize five or six classes to get it working.  I'd like to
make it possible to create a template-based conversion by (partial)
specializing just one traits class.

- Automatic conversions for newer boost libraries (Fusion, Pointer
Container, and Filesystem are at the top of my list), and more for the
STL and iostreams standard libraries.  I'd like to integrate the
indexing suite (v2) into Boost.Python proper.

- Allow Boost.Python wrapped classes to inherit from Python classes.

- An actual "boost.python" Python module to make exceptions and other
types used in wrappers easily accessible from Python.

- Some limited degree of priority-based overload matching.  Not sure how
best to approach this one yet, though.

Jim