[C++-sig] GIL problems during destruction of a boost::python::wrapper

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Mon May 7 16:41:46 CEST 2012

Only Python may delete a python managed object. You cannot destroy
any python object explicitly from the C++ side of things.

Solution: allow the python wrapper and C++ instance being wrapped to
detach from one another. That way if the C++ object is deleted, you
zombify the python representation of it, and if python refcounts to
zero the python side, it can be destroyed and can mark the C++ object
as no longer visible to the python side.

I think BPL used to have explicit special support for auto-detaching
if you wrap an auto_ptr<> to a C++ object instance? You still need
some support code your end of course. I remember using a virtual
factory function taking and returning a void *, you could use this to
make any arbitrary wrapped C++ object "appear" in python.

Niall

--
Technology & Consulting Services - ned Productions Limited.
http://www.nedproductions.biz/. VAT reg: IE 9708311Q.