[C++-sig] How can I make myself usefull?

Matthew Scouten matthew.scouten at gmail.com
Tue May 8 08:14:54 CEST 2012

Hello,
	I have recently been laid off from a job where a made a lot of good
use of Boost.Python. I would like to give something back (while incidentally
keeping my skills from getting rusty). I have already been following the
boost-python tag on stackoverflow and answering a lot of question there
(http://stackoverflow.com/users/8508/matthew-scouten). I haven't hacked on
the internals of BP much, but now that I have time.

While I was there, I had some code (now lost to me) that made BP easier to
use.
Here is some of that I had:

* A deepcopyable suite, so that any c++ class with an appropriate copy ctor
could be quickly given a __deepcopy__, a __copy__ and a copying __init__,
with a single line.

* A similar compare suite, so that classes with == and < could be given a
full set of comparison operators, with a single line

* 2 function templates, SafePointer2Object and SafeObject2Pointer which
dealt with conversions between bp::objects that might be None and  pointers
to c++ classes that might be NULL

* Simple RAII objects that dealt with acquiring and freeing the GIL around
callbacks on different threads. A similar one for freeing the GIL around a
code block. An idea that maybe this could be a call policy.

* No_compare_indexing_suite is vector_indexing_suite for classes without ==

I would like to recreate some of these up for inclusion in BP, if you are
interested. Or if there is other work that needs doing....