[C++-sig] Question on the development of Boost Python

Jim Bosch talljimbo at gmail.com
Sun May 13 15:51:19 CEST 2012

On 05/13/2012 05:18 AM, Michele De Stefano wrote:
> I've read a recent post by Jim Bosch saying that the original developers
> of Boost Python are not going to upgrade it for supporting C++11
> standard libraries.
>
> So I simply would like to understand if this great library is going to
> die or if it is kept up to date by someone else.
>
> Who are the current maintainers/developers?
>
> Jim, are you one of the official developers (I ask because I've not
> found your name into the Boost Python documentation)?

I'm not, and my assertion about their plans should be read as just an
observation by someone who has been paying attention to the mailing list
and codebase.

My sense is that critical errors and bugs are still being fixed, but
there aren't many...and while patches are still being accepted when
contributed, no one is really orchestrating development of new features.
  But I'm hoping someone more authoritative will chime in on that subject.

A while ago I started some conversations about working on a major
overhaul (i.e. a Boost.Python v3).  I got a lot of useful ideas, and I'm
been working on it since - but that's been proceeding extremely slowly
due to other commitments.  And it's turning into enough of a rewrite
(I'm leaning towards making it a C++11 only library) that it's probably
best to decouple those plans from improvements to the Boost.Python we
have now.

Jim