[C++-sig] boost::python with virtual inheritance and g++ c++0x/11 (testcase attached)

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Mon May 14 17:52:11 CEST 2012

On 14 May 2012 at 16:22, Jonas Wielicki wrote:

> > Debian doesn't necessarily install by default
> > multiple versions of compilers, rather they're in the repos available
> > as package dependencies. Surely Fedora is the same?
> Nope, I was talking about the repositories.

Well, well. Didn't think that likely.

> > Ah, my build system has been scons for years now. As that's really
> > python, it's trivial to scan /usr/bin for anything which can compile
> > and invoke each with --version or take a guess from their filename.
> Okay, we're on cmake here. I really should take a look at scons. I mean,
> its python.

scons suffers from an O(N^2) complexity with source file count. Other
than that it's great ...

> >> Clang doesn't compile boost python 1.49 at all. Sadly.
> Sure, you're right. Sorry, it was my fault in reading clang's error
> messages. It chockes on the c++ stl bits, not on boost, but they're
> included from boost, so the first thing I read was "boost".
> Well, I cannot tell if it would choke on boost too, but I guess your
> testing setup is more sane than mine (at least it's not holding a spatula).

It chokes on the GCC STL sure. Not so much its own STL. I am out of
date here though, it's been some years since I debugged C++ on POSIX
as recently cygwin has spat out fully working binaries on Windows
after being debugged in MSVC, so no need to go native POSIX recently.

I'm actually starting a new job with a well known multinational this
autumn where I'll be developing using C++ on POSIX exclusively. That
should bring me very much up to date. My first personal order of
business, coincidentally, will be porting their build environment
from GCC to Clang to gain some sanity for the metaprogramming that
comes next.

Niall

--
Technology & Consulting Services - ned Productions Limited.
http://www.nedproductions.biz/. VAT reg: IE 9708311Q.