[C++-sig] V2 windows build problems update

Nat Goodspeed nat at lindenlab.com
Sun Oct 20 17:15:34 CEST 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 4:50 AM, Nitas Aeter <aeternitas007 at gmail.com>wrote:

fatal error LNK1104: can not open “libmmdd.lib”

> Can you help me ?

Wow, that's really not a lot to go on. Usually the mailing list would at
least want to know what you're trying to do, what versions of the OS and
compiler you're using and what specific command lines you executed -- plus
a small, self-contained source file that demonstrates the problem.

I have just one thing to say about LNK1104.

While building our own software, I have encountered so many spurious
LNK1104 errors that I've concluded it must be primarily due to Windows 7
failing to release file locks soon enough after program termination. I
finally got fed up and coded a retry loop into the script with which I run
builds. When the failure output contains "LNK1104," my script emits a
message and reruns the build command line. Usually that succeeds.

I may have an unusual Windows development environment. Certainly the
scripts we run on our build farm don't include automated retries, and yet
somehow we manage to produce Windows executables. I do have the impression
that our buildmeister manually reruns many Windows builds; I couldn't tell
you whether LNK1104 is the chief culprit.

So in the complete absence of any other actionable information, my only
advice is: try running your build again.