[C++-sig] Stand-alone Boost.Python

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Sat Jun 18 00:25:08 EDT 2016

Hello,

I have started working on a new SCons-based build infrastructure for
Boost.Python that allows the Boost.Python code to be compiled
stand-alone against a pre-installed Boost. I have checked in a first
version to the develop branch, and have enabled Travis-CI to use that.

While this works reasonably well, and provides a much simpler workflow
for developers wanting to contribute to Boost.Python, it isn't (yet)
entirely feature-complete. Notably, running this on Windows (using MSVC)
produces errors. I'd appreciate any help with this, especially from
Windows users who are more familiar with MSVC than I am (that shouldn't
be hard, given I have next to no experience with using MSVC :-) ).

Building Boost.Python is now very simple:

* clone the repo via `git clone https://github.com/boostorg/python.git`
and switch to the 'develop' branch

* configure a build via `scons config --python=... --boost-prefix=...`

* build and test via `scons test`

Hopefully this will make it much simpler to contribute and test patches,
so we can work down the list of accumulated PRs and issues.

(For avoidance of doubt: for the immediate future I have no intentions
to replacing the official bjam-based build system. But once the new one
has proven to be stable enough, I expect to actually build stand-alone
releases for Boost.Python.)

Thanks,

        Stefan