[C++-sig] Trouble building boost with Visual Studio 2010

Liam Herron herron at ELLINGTON.com
Wed Mar 9 09:39:59 EST 2016

You should open a cmd shell tool that comes with VS :
     e.g. "VS2010 x86 Native Tools Command Prompt"
       or "VS2010 x64 Native Tools Command Prompt"

And then in this shell, run your:

b2 toolset=msvc-10.0 --with-python link=shared

It looks like your python version is 64-bit python (Is that true?) so maybe you want to build the 64bit cmd shell that will build the 64 bit version of boost and boost python.

If you want the build 32bit version, make sure you have a 32 bit version of python and python libs and then use the x86 cmd shell to build the 32 bit version of boost and boost python.

Hope that helps.
--Liam

From: Cplusplus-sig [mailto:cplusplus-sig-bounces+herron=ellington.com at python.org] On Behalf Of David Aldrich
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2016 5:05 AM
To: Development of Python/C++ integration
Subject: [C++-sig] Trouble building boost with Visual Studio 2010

Hi

I am trying to build Boost 1.60 with Visual Studio 2010 Professional on Windows 10.

I use the command:

b2 toolset=msvc-10.0 --with-python link=shared

and get the following error:

python34.lib(python34.dll) : fatal error LNK1112: module machine type 'x64' conflicts with target machine type 'X86'

I guess this means I have a conflict of 32-bit and 64-bit libraries.  I want to target 32-bit (X86).

Do I need to install a 32-bit version of Python?  I wonder if that can co-exist with the current version of Python?

Best regards

David

Email transmissions can not be guaranteed to be secure or error-free, as information
could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain
viruses.  The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in
the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission.  In addition,
the information contained in this email message is intended only for use of the
individual or entity named above.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution,or copying of this communication,
disclosure of the parties to it, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient please
delete this email message.