[C++-sig] openexr can't find boost python

Patrick Finn patrickfinnvfx at gmail.com
Mon May 20 09:07:41 EDT 2019

Hi,

I've managed to build openexr and Ilmbase but am having trouble building
pyilmbase that other projects need like alembic etc. I found an openexr
build that has a single CMakeLIsts.txt to build the whole project so tried
that instead and the only error that is popping up so far is an inability
to find boost python. I think it's using find_package in a nested
cmakeLists file and I I get:

-- Could NOT find Boost
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:36 (message):
  Make boost Python available to CMake's search path, and re-run
  configuration

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:37 (message):
  boost Python is a required dependency when OPENEXR_BUILD_PYTHON_LIBS is
set

I've tried building boost1.69.0 with bjam and it says succesfully built and
gives me two directories to add as libs to other cmake commands. I've tried
adding them both as a cmke include directory and as -DBoost_INCLUDE_DIRS /
-DBoost_LIBRARY_DIRS but it still cant find boost python. I even tried to
run a 'pip install boost' in case that the boost python was a separate
install but it still didn't work. This is about where my knowledge level
runs out and it's a bit blind trial and error for me at this stage. If
anyone could offer any help it would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Paddy