[Cryptography-dev] help: pica cryptography get subjectAltNames

Carlos Garza carlos.garza at rackspace.com
Thu Jun 26 05:02:03 CEST 2014

                                                                              ^
    I'm trying to leverage the cryptography project and am trying to extract
the subjAltName extension from x509 certificates encoded as PEM. Does any
one have any suggestions as to how I could do this?

More specifically I'm
trying to extract all dNSName entries from the general names of any x509
certs with the 2.5.29.17 extensions. I'm doing this with pyasn1 already
but I'm trying to do this via OpenSSL in hazmat.

I see references to ASN1_IA5STRING *dNSName in the file
 "./cryptography/hazmat/bindings/openssl/x509v3.py" but no apparent code that extracts this.

I'd like some pointers as to how to add code to
add to the cryptography/cryptography/hazmat/backends/openssl/backend.py
that can extract the dNSNames from the altNames extension from pen encoded X509 certs.
Any suggestions as to how I would do this?