[Cryptography-dev] What's in a name?

Alex ralienpp at gmail.com
Mon May 19 17:38:54 CEST 2014

Hi,

I was just looking for some code examples and the query "python
cryptography pkcs7" reminded me of this thread.

> So… while I think the name cryptography itself is very confusing… no one
> has ever suggested a better name.
Since `cryptography` is supposed to be the definitive answer to all
our cryptographic needs, I would say `omnicrypto`.

The Latin "omnia" means "all" or "every", and "crypto" has to be there
to make the package easy to find via search engines. An alternative
could be `pancrypto`, from the Greek "pan" = "all"; though it might be
interpreted as something related to frying pans :-)

> Would it make sense to then change the headings in the
> documentation and such to "PyCA's Cryptography Package"?
Will it not end up as something like "Linux" vs "GNU/Linux"? The path
of least resistance is to omit all but the minimum needed to uniquely
identify the target. If the bare minimum is too long, people will
shorten it anyway (to something you might be unable to control).