[Cryptography-dev] PyCA cryptography 1.0 released

Paul Kehrer paul.l.kehrer at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 15:42:35 CEST 2015

On behalf of all the contributors I am pleased to announce the release of PyCA/cryptography (https://github.com/pyca/cryptography) 1.0! cryptography is a package which provides cryptographic recipes and primitives to Python developers. Our goal is for it to be your "cryptographic standard library". We support Python 2.6-2.7, Python 3.3+, and PyPy.

Changelog (https://cryptography.io/en/latest/changelog/):

* Switched to the new cffi set_source out-of-line API mode for compilation. This results in significantly faster imports and lowered memory consumption. Due to this change we no longer support PyPy releases older than 2.6 nor do we support any released version of PyPy3 (until a version supporting cffi 1.0 comes out).
* Fix parsing of OpenSSH public keys that have spaces in comments.
* Support serialization of certificate signing requests using the public_bytes method of CertificateSigningRequest.
* Support serialization of certificates using the public_bytes method of Certificate.
* Add get_provisioning_uri method to HOTP and TOTP for generating provisioning URIs.
* Add ConcatKDFHash and ConcatKDFHMAC.
* Raise a TypeError when passing objects that are not text as the value to NameAttribute.
* Add support for OtherName as a general name type.
* Added new X.509 extension support in Certificate. The following new extensions are now supported:
    * OCSPNoCheck
    * InhibitAnyPolicy
    * IssuerAlternativeName
    * NameConstraints
* Extension support was added to CertificateSigningRequest.
* Add support for creating signed certificates with CertificateBuilder. This includes support for the following extensions:
    * BasicConstraints
    * SubjectAlternativeName
    * KeyUsage
    * ExtendedKeyUsage
    * SubjectKeyIdentifier
    * AuthorityKeyIdentifier
    * AuthorityInformationAccess
    * CRLDistributionPoints
    * InhibitAnyPolicy
    * IssuerAlternativeName
    * OCSPNoCheck
* Add support for creating certificate signing requests with CertificateSigningRequestBuilder. This includes support for the same extensions supported in the CertificateBuilder.

...and numerous other small improvements!

This release is the result of 670 commits from 213 different pull requests. These pull requests were created by 23 different contributors.

-Paul Kehrer (reaperhulk)