[Cryptography-dev] Noob question about some data that has been leaked in encrypted form

Paul Kehrer paul.l.kehrer at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 11:35:58 EDT 2020

If the only thing exposed was encrypted fernet tokens then there is no
way to determine the key used by those tokens short of a brute force
attack. Based on what you're describing users could potentially have
run a chosen plaintext attack as well, but Fernet's construction
(AES-CBC with random IV + HMAC for authentication) is CPA secure.

To be clear, you should still rotate keys and re-encrypt data as best practice.

-Paul