[Csv] confused about wrapping readers and writers

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Feb 10 15:38:32 CET 2003

    >> The only possible addition now would be some kind of mechanism
    >> whereby something like the db_row could be linked in with the module.
    >>
    >> http://opensource.theopalgroup.com/
    >>
    >> Mind you the application might be the best place to do this kind of
    >> linkage.

    Andrew> Maybe Skip's dictionary stuff would get us closer?

Maybe, but there are enough object-relational mappers out there (I gather
that's sort of what db_row is) that we can't possibly make everyone happy.
I say we punt.  I haven't cvs up'd yet this morning.  Hopefully my
DictReader and DictWriter classes still work. ;-)

    Andrew> We haven't made any impression on the csv.utils sub-module yet -
    Andrew> things like the sniffer. We want to watch we don't miss the 2.3
    Andrew> boat - what's the next step?

That's Cliff's expertise, and judging from his recent silence, I suspect
he's still pretty busy with other things.  Cliff, assuming the rest of the
code is pretty much set how are you fixed for time to work on a sniffer?
Should we propose that's what's there now be incorporated into 2.3 and then
aim for a separate csv.utils module between 2.3 and 2.4 (to be added in
2.4)?

Skip