[CSV] RE: Number of lines in CSV files

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jan 29 01:48:46 CET 2003

>>>>> "Cliff" == Cliff Wells <LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net> writes:

Cliff> On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 16:31, Kevin Altis wrote:
>> > From: Cliff Wells
>> >
>> > Another thing that just occurred to me is that Excel has
>> historically > been limited in the number of rows and columns that
>> it can import.  This > number has increased with recent versions (I
>> think it was 32K lines in > Excel 97, Kevin informs me it's 64K in
>> Excel 2000).
>> >
>> > Since export will be a feature of the CSV module, should we have
>> some > sort of warning or raise an exception when exporting data
>> larger than > the target application can handle, or should we just
>> punt on this?
>>
>> +1 on punt
>>
>> The user may not actually be trying to import into Excel, they may
>> be using Access, later versions of Excel might support more rows,
>> whatever. Plus, Excel still imports the data, it just can't deal
>> with more than 64K rows in Excel 2000.

Cliff> I guess we need to decide what we mean by "dialect": do we mean
Cliff> "this data _will_ import into this application" or do we mean
Cliff> "this data will be written in a format this application can
Cliff> understand, but might not necessarily be able to use"?

I vote for the "this data will be written in a format this application
can understand, but might not necessarily be able to use".  We can
always supplement the code with documentation.

- Dave

--
http://www.object-craft.com.au