[Csv] Sniffing dialects

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 29 17:16:44 CET 2003

If my notion of dialects as dicts isn't too far off-base, the sniffing code
could just return a dict.  That would be a good way to define new dialects.
Someone could send us a CSV file from a particular application.  We'd turn
the sniffer loose on it then append the result to our dialects.csv file.

(A different version of) the sniffer could take an optional dialect string
as an arg and either use it as the starting point (for stuff it can't
discern, like hard returns in CSV files which don't contain any) or tell you
if the input file is compatible with that dialect.

Skip