[Csv] CSV interface question

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 29 18:41:07 CET 2003

    Cliff> Actually, there is a downside to using strings, as you will see
    Cliff> if you look at the code I posted a little while ago.  By taking
    Cliff> dialect as a string, it basically precludes the user rolling
    Cliff> their own dialect except as keyword arguments.  After working on
    Cliff> this, I'm inclined to have the programmer pass a class or other
    Cliff> structure.

Don't forget we have the speedy Object Craft _csv engine sitting underneath
the covers.  Under the assumption that all the actual processing goes on at
that level, I see no particular reason dialect info needs to be anything
other than a collection of keyword arguments.  I view csv.reader and
csv.writer as factory functions which return functional readers and writers
defined in _csv.c.  The Python level serves simply to paper over the
low-level extension module.

Skip