[Csv] Module question...

Cliff Wells LogiplexSoftware at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 30 22:10:28 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 12:45, Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Cliff> -1.  If it isn't sniffable, I'd end up having to write another
>     Cliff> CSV parser to support the features DSV currently has.
>
> Or approach the problem differently?  Try asking the low-level parser to
> return a few rows of the file using different parameters.  The low-level
> parser is fast enough that you can (given a filename) attempt to parse it
> many times in fairly short order.  See what works. ;-)

I'm not sure that would be a good approach, as passing incorrect
arguments to the parser might cause problems (it *is* written in C
<wink>) and given the number of possible variations, it would be
inefficient no matter how fast the parser.  However, it is certainly
possible to sniff the file prior to passing it to the parser.  I suppose
there is no reason the sniffer has to take the same type of file (or
iterator) argument the parser does, although it would be nice, for
consistency.

Okay: -0 to whatever someone said that I was arguing about <wink>.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)