[Cython] CEP: prange for parallel loops

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Mon Apr 4 11:43:37 CEST 2011

CEP up at http://wiki.cython.org/enhancements/prange

"""
This spec is the result of a number of discussions at Cython workshop 1.
Quite a few different ways of expressing parallelism was looked at, and
finally we decided to split the problem in two:

  * A simple and friendly solution that covers, perhaps, 80% of the
cases, based on simply replacing range with prange.

  * Less friendly solutions for the remaining cases. These cases may
well not even require language support in Cython, or only in indirect
ways (e.g., cdef closures if normal closures are too expensive).

This document focuses exclusively on the former solution and does not
intend to cover all use-cases for parallel programming, only the most
common ones.
"""

Note that me and Mark talked some more on the way to the airport, and
also I got a couple of more ideas afterwards, so everybody interested
should probably take a read even if you were there for discussions.

Dag Sverre