[Cython] CEP: prange for parallel loops

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 13:52:20 CEST 2011

On 5 April 2011 12:51, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> mark florisson, 04.04.2011 21:26:
>>
>> For clarity, I'll add an example:
>>
>> def f(np.ndarray[double] x, double alpha):
>>     cdef double s = 0
>>     cdef double tmp = 2
>>     cdef double other = 6.6
>>
>>     with nogil:
>>         for i in prange(x.shape[0]):
>>             # reading 'tmp' makes it firstprivate in addition to
>> lastprivate
>>             # 'other' is only ever read, so it's shared
>>             printf("%lf %lf %lf\n", tmp, s, other)
>
> So, adding a printf() to your code can change the semantics of your
> variables? That sounds like a really bad design to me.

I agree, I think we should refrain from the firstprivate() entirely,
as it wouldn't have the same semantics as serial execution (as 'tmp'
would have the original value with parallel execution and the value
from previous iterations with serial execution). So basically we
should allow reading of private variables only after they are assigned
to in the loop body.