[Cython] Cython paper in Computing in Science & Engineering

Dag Sverre Seljebotn d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no
Thu Apr 7 10:56:39 CEST 2011

On 04/07/2011 10:01 AM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
> <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no>  wrote:
>>> Yes, I think we can post the pre-print, though I'm opposed to making
>>> this the "canonical citation" just because of this paywall.
>> Is this for ideological or practical reasons?
> Both.
>
> Actually, opposed is probably too strong of a word here. I'm
> disinclined, but there isn't really a better option. Currently, people
> usually just cite the website, for whatever that's worth.
> http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=cython

And I don't think that's worth very much. To me it's really looking like
CiSE citation or no citation at all.

>> Next time we've got anything to share in a paper, let's do it here:
>>
>> http://www.openresearchcomputation.com/
>>
>> Although that wasn't around when we started writing the paper.
> Or at least look into this more carefully. Some of CiSE's papers are
> open access, I (naively) thought ours wouldn't be hard to get to
> either. It is a nice paper though and I think it'll hit a nice
> audience (who primarily won't even be aware that they're paying
> through it indirectly through university overhead and monolithic
> library subscriptions).

I did the same mistake, because I couldn't see the paywall myself. At
the time I actually had a hard time finding an internet connection that
wouldn't transparently serve me the PDFs. And once I learned I figured
it was a bit too late to back out.

I've learned a lot since then.

DS