[Cython] GSoC Proposal - Reimplement C modules in CPython's standard library in Cython.

Arthur de Souza Ribeiro arthurdesribeiro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 02:43:29 CEST 2011

2011/4/7 Robert Bradshaw <robertwb at math.washington.edu>

> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Arthur de Souza Ribeiro
> <arthurdesribeiro at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've submitted to google the link
> > is:
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/arthur_sr/1#
> > It would be really important if you could give me a feedback to my
> > proposal...
> > Thank you
> > Best Regards
> > Arthur
>
> Some quick points:
>
> - Python ships with extensive regression tests--use (and possibly
> augment) those to test your work rather than writing your own.

Thank you for that information Robert, I didn't realize this.

> - Three modules for a whole summer seems a bit weak, especially for
> someone who already knows Cython. Target at least one module/week
> seems like a good pace; some will be quickies, others might take 40+
> hours. And I guarantee you'll get better and faster with practice.

I'm going to refactor this Robert, as soon as I  remake my project's roadmap
I'll send to you again.

> - Now that generators are supported, it could also be interesting to
> look at compiling all the non-C modules and fixing exposed bugs if
> any, but that might be out of scope.

I will try to take a look at this after implementing some cython code to a
the module you suggested.

> What I'd like to see is an implementation of a single simple but not
> entirely trivial (e.g. not math) module, passing regression tests with
> comprable if not better speed than the current C version (though I
> think it'd probably make sense to start out with the Python version
> and optimize that). E.g. http://docs.python.org/library/json.html
> looks like a good candidate. That should only take 8 hours or so,
> maybe two days at most, given your background. I'm not expecting
> anything before the application deadline, but if you could whip
> something like this out in the next week to point to that would help
> your application out immensely. In fact, one of the Python
> foundation's requirements is that students submit a patch before being
> accepted, and this would knock out that requirement and give you a
> chance to prove yourself. Create an account on https://github.com and
> commit your code into a new repository there.

I will start the implementation of json module right now. I created my
github account and as soon as I have code implemented I will send repository
link.

Thanks for all the points you listed, I will work on all of them and send an
e-mail.

Best Regards.

[]s

Arthur