[Cython] GSoC Proposal - Reimplement C modules in CPython's standard library in Cython.

Arthur de Souza Ribeiro arthurdesribeiro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:59:11 CEST 2011

Hi Stefan, yes, I'm working on this, in fact I'm trying to recompile json
module (http://docs.python.org/library/json.html) adding some type
definitions and cython things o get the code faster.

I'm getting in trouble with some things too, I'm going to enumerate here so
that, you could give me some tips about how to solve them.

1 - Compile package modules - json module is inside a package (files:
__init__.py, decoder.py, encoder.py, decoder.py) is there a way to generate
the cython modules just like its get generated by cython?

2 - Because I'm getting in trouble with issue #1, I'm running the tests
manually, I go to %Python-dir%/Lib/tests/json_tests, get the files
corresponding to the tests python make and run manually.

3 - To get the performance of the module, I'm thinking about to use the
timeit function in  the unit tests for the project. I think a good number of
executions would be made and it would be possible to compare each time.

4 - I didn't create the .pxd files, some problems are happening, it tells
methods are not defined, but, they are defined, I will try to investigate
this better

The code is in this repository:
https://github.com/arthursribeiro/JSON-module your feedback would be very
important, so that I could improve my skills to get more and more able to
work sooner in the project.

I think some things implemented in this rewriting process are going to be
useful when doing this with C modules...

Thank you very much.

Best Regards.

[]s

Arthur