[Cython] GSoC Proposal - Reimplement C modules in CPython's standard library in Cython.

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Sun Apr 17 21:16:39 CEST 2011

Sturla Molden, 17.04.2011 20:24:
> Den 17.04.2011 20:07, skrev Arthur de Souza Ribeiro:
>> I've profilled the module I created and the module that is in Python 3.2,
>> the result is that the cython module spent about 73% less time then
>> python's one, the output to the module was like this (blue for cython,
>> red for python):
>
> The number of function calls are different. For nested_dict, you have 37320
> calls per second for Cython and 59059 calls per second for Python. I am not
> convinced that is better.

Note that there are 20000 calls to isinstance(), which Cython handles
internally. The profiler cannot see those.

However, the different number of functions calls also makes the profiling
results less comparable, since there are fewer calls into the profiler.
This leads to a lower performance penalty for Cython in the absolute
timings, and consequently to an unfair comparison.