[Cython] Hudson pyregr testing takes too long

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Apr 25 07:52:05 CEST 2011

Stefan Behnel, 07.04.2011 13:52:
> Stefan Behnel, 07.04.2011 13:46:
>> I just noticed that the CPython pyregr tests have jumped up from ~14
>> minutes for a run to ~4 hours when we added generator support.
>>
>> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-tests-pyregr-py26-c/buildTimeTrend
>>
>> I currently have no idea why that is (well, it's likely because we compile
>> more tests now, but Vitja's branch ran the tests in ~30 minutes). It would
>> be great if someone could find the time to analyse this problem. The
>> current run time makes it basically impossible to keep these tests enabled.
>
> Ok, it looks like this is mostly an issue with the Py2.6 tests. The Py2.7
> tests take 30-45 minutes, which is very long, but not completely out of
> bounds. I've disabled the Py2.6 pyregr tests for now.

There seems to be a huge memory leak which almost certainly accounts for
this. The Python process that runs the pyregr suite ends up with about 50GB
of memory at the end, also in the latest Py3k builds.

I have no idea where it may be, but it started to show when we merged the
generator support. That's where I noticed the instant jump in the runtime.