[Cython] Cython 0.15 release candidate

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Tue Aug 2 08:56:20 CEST 2011

Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 02.08.2011 08:28:
> On 08/02/2011 07:44 AM, Vitja Makarov wrote:
>> Maybe it's better to use "git archive"?
>
> If it's only about creating a tarball, then 'git tag' (or, I assume, a
> commit hash) will suffice -- GitHub automatically tarballs for you:
>
> https://github.com/cython/cython/tarball/0.15rc2
>
> However I believe sdist does some more stuff (generates some files before
> tarballing or similar); although as I don't know the specifics I can't tell
> you whether we need to do it for Cython. E.g., for libraries written in
> Cython one could hook sdist to Cythonize to C files; of course, with Cython
> we bootstrap instead so that's not an issue.

It wouldn't be the first time we miss files in the MANIFEST.in of a
(pre-)release, and yes, it prepares a couple of things for us, so
especially for release candidates, it's a very good idea to use distutils'
sdist - obviously from a clean working copy.

BTW, Jenkins builds sdists for us all the time, so as long as it's taken
from a branch that it builds anyway, you can just grab it from there, e.g.

https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-sdist/lastSuccessfulBuild/

We also still have the old "cython-release" build jobs that are now picking
up the new release branch, it seems:

https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/view/release/

I'll shortly reconfigure them to build a clean sdist as well (using "git
clean"), then we can use that build job as a source for archives. Note that
Jenkins has a button to "keep this build", so we can keep all the build
logs alive for a release.