[Cython] [cython-users] Calling gil-requiring function not allowed without gil

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Aug 11 16:00:02 CEST 2011

[moving this away from cython-users]

Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 11.08.2011 14:53:
> On 08/11/2011 02:13 PM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> Dag Sverre Seljebotn, 11.08.2011 13:58:

>>> This should be
>>>
>>> cdef double dabs(double x) nogil:
>>
>> Note that Cython cannot infer this automatically. Even a trivial
>> function may require an exclusive global lock for some reason, and it's
>> common to use the GIL for that. So the programmer must be explicit here.
>
> Are you still against this mini-CEP?:
>
> with cython.global_lock():
>
> Where global_lock() is GIL-requiring noop.
>
> This
>
> a) Improves code readability vastly. Having a critical section take effect
> because of the *lack* of a keyword is just very odd to anyone who's not
> shoulder deep in CPython internals

The GIL is more than a critical section. It's just there - and that's a
good thing. Just take it as a part of the runtime environment, and disable
it when you are sure you can *safely* do without it. A global lock makes
life a lot easier, as it prevents unconditional (and unexpected) concurrency.

> b) Allows inferring 'nogil'

No it doesn't, because existing code doesn't use it. Only because you use
one little statement in one part of your sources doesn't mean you know what
you're doing, and that Cython can happily assume reversed semantics for the
rest. Don't forget that threading is a dangerous abstraction, hard to get
right and likely even the most error prone concurrency mechanism in
widespread use. Not everything is "trivially parallelisable", and even
those cases that are still produce enough problems.

Actually, it's worth asking if even the prange loop was a good idea, given
the amount of confusion driven traffic that it currently produces on the
mailing list. I'm not arguing against it, but it seems to be a trickier
concept than it appears at first sight. IMHO, that's worth working on
*before* we introduce even more hard-to-understand concepts and
hard-to-control compiler trickery.