[Cython] Away: automagical (c)import plans

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Aug 24 08:19:06 CEST 2011

Stefano, 23.08.2011 23:16:
> I'm not dead, I'm just on holiday :)
> Meanwhile, I've started investigating the CEP I'll be working on
> (http://wiki.cython.org/enhancements/overlaypythonmodules).
>
> Brainstorming: if I understood well (code is not documented) I'll have to work
> on Cython.Compiler.SymTab, in particular, on Scope and Entry classes. That
> doesn't seem difficult, but I won't say so until work is over :D

My guess is that you'll rather have to work with them than on them. I don't
even think you need a new scope class to implement the fall-through. It
should be enough to use the pxd's ModuleScope and add a Python module's
ModuleScope as parent_scope.

I'm not sure what happens when you currently cimport *and* import a module
(e.g. numpy), that may account for a similar setup already.

I would expect that most of what you have to change applies to the parser
and somewhat to the ModuleScope. Those are the places where .ṗxd file
search happens.