[Cython] History of SWIG and applicability to Cython

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:31:55 CEST 2011

On 29 August 2011 19:25, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Stefan Behnel, 29.08.2011 16:33:
>>
>> here's an interesting history wrap-up of SWIG, by its original author.
>> [...]
>
> And an interesting reply:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/126425/focus=126440
>
> I didn't know clang even had Python bindings for its parser.
>
> Stefan

Last time I checked I think they didn't support the preprocessor yet,
and I do think you want access to macros. Macro constants are easy if
you have access to the preprocessor, I don't know about macro
functions... perhaps those should remain the user's burden. I would
certainly welcome a good pxd generator.

There is one such generator out there, can't seem to find it right
now. I think it uses gccxml (which parses C++ and generates xml).
There's also ctypesgen, which is also based on gccxml.

I think clang or gccxml would be easier and less of a hack than swig,
although I haven't looked at swig's implementation.