[Cython] History of SWIG and applicability to Cython

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 22:42:36 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM, mark florisson
<markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 August 2011 19:25, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
>> Stefan Behnel, 29.08.2011 16:33:
>>>
>>> here's an interesting history wrap-up of SWIG, by its original author.
>>> [...]
>>
>> And an interesting reply:
>>
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/126425/focus=126440
>>
>> I didn't know clang even had Python bindings for its parser.
>>
>> Stefan
>>

> Last time I checked I think they didn't support the preprocessor yet,
> and I do think you want access to macros. Macro constants are easy if
> you have access to the preprocessor, I don't know about macro
> functions... perhaps those should remain the user's burden. I would
> certainly welcome a good pxd generator.
>
> There is one such generator out there, can't seem to find it right
> now.

I did one such thing, but it is more of an hack than a real solution:

https://github.com/cournape/cython-codegen

Using gccxml is a PITA:
  - you cannot force C mode (always assume C++)
  - building gccxml is not pleasant

clang is much better for this kind of things,

cheers,

David