[Cython] [cython-users] Cython .pxd introspection: listing defined constants

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Feb 21 22:12:52 CET 2011

Stefan Behnel wrote:

> With "preferred way", I was suggesting that we could *deprecate*
>     cdef public int x
>     cdef readonly object y
> for cdef class properties in favour of
>     cpdef int x
>     cpdef readonly object y

I think I've just realised one of the reasons for my gut
dislike of the "cpdef" keyword -- it looks too similar to
"def". At first glance, it's hard to spot the difference
between the cdef and cpdef versions of two otherwise
identical declarations.

I think this is too subtle for something that makes such
a big difference to semantics. It's often important that
Python code is not allowed to mess with an object's
internal state, so making it possible should require
something more obvious.