[Cython] Cython backend aiming PyPy Status

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Wed Jul 6 08:01:16 CEST 2011

Romain Guillebert, 06.07.2011 05:10:
> I created a blog post summarizing what I've done the last few weeks on
> the Cython backend aiming PyPy.
>
> It's located at this URL :
> http://rguillebert.blogspot.com/2011/07/cython-backend-aiming-pypy-status.html

Congrats, that sounds pretty usable already.

Instead of stepping directly into writing dedicated tests for your existing
code, you should first try to get Cython's normal test suite running. That
will give you a huge set of tests right away.

One remark for this list: given that you simply reuse the type analysis
steps in the ctypes pipeline (which is totally the right thing to do!),
Cython should be careful what it does during these steps. Traditionally
(and especially prehistorically), the type analysis step has been a point
where the tree is changed in ways that didn't quite fit anywhere else. From
now on, we need to take care not to break the ctypes backend by applying
C-only tree changes here.

Another important reason for getting the test suite to run, so that we can
hand the regression testing over to Jenkins.