[Cython] Utility Codes and templates

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri Jul 22 15:54:34 CEST 2011

mark florisson, 22.07.2011 15:07:
> On 22 July 2011 14:38, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> mark florisson, 22.07.2011 13:45:

>>> Putting them in one file does not make them interdependent
>>
>> I meant the opposite direction. They shouldn't depend on each other anyway,
>> so there's no need to put them in one file.
>
> Say we have one struct definition, and two utilities that depend on
> it, but not directly on one another. I want all of them in the same
> file, because they are *related*, just not all dependent on each
> other.

Ok, I see the use case now. How do you mark the dependencies within the
file? And how do you mark dependencies towards other code in other files?
I.e. how do you map the parameters that UtilityCode() current takes into
the file format?

You sure don't want to keep those in the Python code that injects (or
loads) the utility code, do you?

>>> Once the first utility is loaded from the
>>> file, it loads all the utilities as strings from the file and caches
>>> them.
>>
>> Premature optimisation? ;)
>
> Not at all, I have one file with multiple templates, and you can't
> seek to their starting position. Why should you re-read the file every
> time you load just one of them?

You seem to be subscribed to misinterpreting me. ;)

*Iff* you accept that multiple implementations should be in one file, then
this approach makes sense. I was merely suggesting that the performance is
not a reason by itself for putting multiple implementations into one file.

>>> You don't want to enforce one utility per file as many utilities
>>> are pretty small, and you want to group utilities based on their
>>> purpose.
>>
>> It substantially complicates the file handling, though.
>
> Complicates? In what way?

In the sense that you have to do something to split the file into separate
sections before being able to apply the templating engine to it. So you
have several levels of marker semantics in the file format, one to separate
the implementations, one to separate the parts of an implementation, and
one level for the templating language. I call that "complicating the file
handling".

However, given that you always need to express metadata in some way (e.g.
for dependencies), I don't think you can do better than with two levels
anyway, so a third won't hurt *that* much.

>>> Because (Cython)UtilityCode already takes a bunch of keyword arguments
>>
>> But none that would still matter when you put the code into an external
>> file. IMHO, the file should be as self contained as possible, with the
>> exception of externally provided parameters and (obviously) the decision
>> where the resulting utility code will eventually be injected.
>
> No, it matters. The load() method takes any additional keyword
> arguments that are passed to (Cython)UtilityCode. e.g. you might want
> to pass in the variable 'name' or 'init' into your template, but those
> are already taken.

But why would you need to pass those into the UtilityCode instantiation? As
I said, the templates should be as self-contained as possible, just as they
are today, as written in the Python code. Passing "init" as a parameter to
UtilityCode() doesn't make sense to me. (not sure what exactly the "name"
parameter is there for, though)