[Cython] Should we drop support for CPython 2.3? (and maybe even 2.4?)

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Wed Jul 27 20:28:11 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:16 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 07/27/2011 08:11 PM, Robert Bradshaw wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:51 AM, mark florisson
>> <markflorisson88 at gmail.com>  wrote:

>> I'm OK with dropping 2.3, but lets pose the question on cython-users
>> as well first. If so, we'd declare 0.15 as the last release
>> "supporting" 2.3. Dropping 2.4 seems to have less advantages and more
>> disadvantages, but is worth inquiring about as well.
>
> Stefan mentioned 2.3 being "all red" -- would you support 2.3 for Cython
> 0.15 even if it's a lot of work? If it's not much work I agree, I just don't
> think it's a valuable use of our time if things need fixing.

I haven't looked at how much fixing it needs, but it's a pretty good
track record: https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-tests-py23-c/

> It's not like 0.14.x will become unavailable.

Yes, that is a good point, though if it's (really) easy, I'd rather
say "this is the last release supporting 2.3" rather than "oh, btw, we
dropped support for 2.3."

I also think we should have a big fat #error rather than letting 2.3
support just fade away (or worse, silently produce bad/incorrect
code).

- Robert