[Cython] Should we drop support for CPython 2.3? (and maybe even 2.4?)

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Fri Jul 29 20:10:27 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM, Vitja Makarov <vitja.makarov at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/7/28 Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de>:
>> Robert Bradshaw, 27.07.2011 20:28:
>>>
>>> Yes, that is a good point, though if it's (really) easy, I'd rather
>>> say "this is the last release supporting 2.3" rather than "oh, btw, we
>>> dropped support for 2.3."
>>
>> I wouldn't mind either way. Let's see what the users poll gives.
>>

>>> I also think we should have a big fat #error rather than letting 2.3
>>> support just fade away (or worse, silently produce bad/incorrect
>>> code).
>>
>> With "fading out" I just meant that a) we don't even know right now if the C
>> code we generate really works in Python 2.3 and b) we could just leave it
>> that way and add a note to the release notes that it's no longer actively
>> supported but on a "I feel lucky" basis.
>>
>> But I agree that it's better to let the C compilation fail loudly, so that
>> users know what the problem is.
>>

> That could be a warning not an error.
>
> It's fun: with cython you can use decorators, generators and more with py2.3,
> may be it's better to drop support after 0.15?
>
> I hope it would be easy to fix this error:
> https://sage.math.washington.edu:8091/hudson/job/cython-devel-tests-py23-c/871/console

I'll look into it. If it's trivial I'll fix it and we'll call 2.3
supported, if not we'll not worry about it.

In general, it sounds like people are fine with dropping support for
2.3, and we've got one request for holding onto 2.4 a little bit
longer (but dropping that is on the horizon too).

- Robert