[Cython] Bindings performance issue

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Thu Jun 2 23:59:29 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:45 PM, mark florisson
<markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 June 2011 23:34, Robert Bradshaw <robertwb at math.washington.edu> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:21 PM, mark florisson
>> <markflorisson88 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Again, such code is highly fragile and frankly incorrect to begin
>>> with, as it's based on the assumption that "Cython functions" never
>>> get bound.
>>
>> I agree, but I bet there's code out there depending on it, in
>> particular workarounds for our current broken semantics will
>> themselves break.
>
> Workarounds wouldn't break, as they would wrap the non-binding
> function in another object, and implement __get__ to return a new
> object that, when called, would call the original function with 'self'
> as the first argument.

Depends on the workaround. I'm thinking workarounds like "oh, self
isn't getting passed, guess I'll have to pass it manually here..."

>>> Getting functions (defined outside of class bodies) to bind
>>> in classes is a feature, I sometimes found myself to want it. So
>>> basically an error would be fine, but it would prevent normal usage as
>>> we have it in Python.
>>
>> The error would just be for a transition period.
>
> The transition period would be for an entire release?

Yes, though hopefully a much shorter release cycle than this last one.
I just haven't had time to fix those remaining failing Sage tests, and
we keep merging in more and more stuff (which is good, but we're well
overdue for a release by now.)

- Robert