[Cython] Test runner changes for Python/PyPy backend

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Fri Jun 17 08:07:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

Romain wants to start writing tests for his Python/ctypes backend branch,
so we need to extend the test runner.

We'll eventually want to merge his branch back into normal mainline, so I
suggest actually just running the complete test suite in a new, separate
configuration, just like we do with C and C++ now. So we'd have a switch
"--no-ctypes" that disables these tests, and (I assume) a new test class
(inheriting from the normal compile test case) that properly runs them in
plain CPython. If the implementation becomes PyPy specific, "--no-pypy"
will make more sense, but it currently appears to target ctypes in general.

I'm also considering making the backend selection a positive opt-in, i.e.
switch from "--no-cpp" and friends to "--backends=c,cpp,ctypes". That would
have avoided the future configuration change in all existing Jenkins test
jobs (which will then need to disable the new backend tests).

Does that fit everyone's expectations?

There's one problem I see: the ctypes backend will likely have most
optimisations disabled, so many (most?) of the test tree assertions will
make no sense. I think it's best to just keep that out of the backend
specific pipeline completely for now. We have the C/C++ test modes for that.

And, obviously, switching from duplicating to triplicating the test cases
will substantially increase the time for a complete test run, although a
lot of the running time is currently spent in the C compiler more than the
actual test code runs.