[Cython] OpenMP support

Francesc Alted faltet at pytables.org
Tue Mar 8 20:43:34 CET 2011

A Tuesday 08 March 2011 20:24:51 Sturla Molden escrigué:
> Den 08.03.2011 20:13, skrev Francesc Alted:
> > And another problem that should be taken in account is that MS
> > Visual Studio does not offer OpenMP in the Express edition (the
> > free, as in beer, one).
>
> Which is why one should get the Windows 7 SDK instead :-)

Yeah, but this is largely obscure and not-well documented venue
(clearly, Microsoft does not want people going that route).

> > In the case that we need dealing with a low-level C-API
> > thread library, I'd use pthreads, with a possible light wrapper for
> > using it from the Windows thread API on Windows machines.
>
> pthreads are available on Windows as well.

You mean http://sourceware.org/pthreads-win32/index.html?  Uh, this is
an important dependency, and the project seems not maintained anymore
(no updates since 2006).  Besides, its LGPL license does not seem a good
choice for Cython.

I was thinking in something more like:

http://locklessinc.com/articles/pthreads_on_windows/

which seems simple enough (just a .h header), and it also comes with a
sensible license (BSD).

--
Francesc Alted