[Cython] 'with gil:' statement

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 12:54:00 CET 2011

On 16 March 2011 11:58, Dag Sverre Seljebotn <d.s.seljebotn at astro.uio.no> wrote:
> On 03/16/2011 11:28 AM, mark florisson wrote:
>
> I implemented the 'with gil:' statement, and have added error checking
> for nested 'with gil' or 'with nogil' statements. For instance, with
> the patch applied Cython wil issue an error when you have e.g.
>
> with nogil:
>     with nogil:
>
> (or the same thing for 'with gil:'). This because nested 'nogil' or
> 'gil' blocks, without intermediate GIL-acquiring/releasing, will abort
> the Python interpreter. However, if people are acquiring the GIL
> manually in nogil blocks and then want to release the GIL with a
> 'nogil' block, it will incorrectly issue an error. I do think this
> kind of code is uncommon, but perhaps we want to issue a warning
> instead?
>
> I think we should make nested nogil-s noops, i.e.
>
> with nogil:
>     with nogil: # => if True:
>
> This is because one may want to change "with nogil" to "with gil" for
> debugging purposes (allow printing debug information).

Interesting, that does sound convenient, but I'm not if mere
convenience should move us to simply ignore what is technically most
likely incorrect code (unless there is intermediate manual locking).
In any case, I wouldn't really be against that. If you simply want to
allow this for debugging, we could also allow print statements in
nogil sections, by either rewriting it using 'with gil:', or by
inserting a simple printf (in which case you probably want to place a
few restrictions).

> Another feedback is that I wonder whether we should put the "gil" and
> "nogil" psuedo-context managers both in cython namespace, and sort of
> deprecate the "global" nogil, rather than introduce yet another name that
> can't be used safely for all kinds of variables.

Hmm, good catch. Actually, 'with cython.nogil:' is already possible,
but cython.gil isn't (in fact, 'with cython.somethingrandom:' seems to
simply be ignored).
So I guess I'll have to fix that :)