[Cython] Rewriting/compiling parts of CPython's stdlib in Cython

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Thu Mar 24 20:18:06 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Stefan Behnel, 22.03.2011 08:59:
>> Robert Bradshaw, 22.03.2011 08:14:
>>> I think that's a great idea. Would you be willing to mentor such a
>>> project.
>> As usual, I'm not sure I'll have the time, but if no-one else steps up,
>> I'd
>> consider it.
> Should we sign up with the PSF GSoC umbrella to officially propose this
> project?
> https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHh3WFNGYzkyWWE0ZjM1eFFoUUVGWmc6MQ
> Do we have any other topics for the GSoC this year? We'd be just in time if
> we discuss this at the workshop, although somewhat late already. The student
> application deadline is from March 28 to April 8.
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

There's always our enhancements page, but some of those are fairly
advanced. I think this'd be a really good GSoC project, very modular,
and doesn't require getting to know the internals of the compiler to
start making a serious contribution (at least not right away, I'm sure
bugs and optimizations will be submitted).

I'm willing to (co?)-mentor. Stefan? Craig? With the three of us we
could easily mentor at least one student, and perhaps two (if another
really solid proposal/student comes up). Anyone else willing to
mentor? I haven't pushed on GSoC much this year yet because no one's
stepped up to mentor, but there's still ample time on our side.

- Robert