[Cython] Rewriting/compiling parts of CPython's stdlib in Cython

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Thu Mar 24 20:58:37 CET 2011

Robert Bradshaw, 24.03.2011 20:18:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>> Stefan Behnel, 22.03.2011 08:59:
>>>
>>> Robert Bradshaw, 22.03.2011 08:14:

>>> As usual, I'm not sure I'll have the time, but if no-one else steps up,
>>> I'd
>>> consider it.
>>
>> Should we sign up with the PSF GSoC umbrella to officially propose this
>> project?
>>
>> https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHh3WFNGYzkyWWE0ZjM1eFFoUUVGWmc6MQ
>>
>> Do we have any other topics for the GSoC this year? We'd be just in time if
>> we discuss this at the workshop, although somewhat late already. The student
>> application deadline is from March 28 to April 8.
>>
>> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline
>
> There's always our enhancements page, but some of those are fairly
> advanced. I think this'd be a really good GSoC project, very modular,
> and doesn't require getting to know the internals of the compiler to
> start making a serious contribution (at least not right away, I'm sure
> bugs and optimizations will be submitted).

Well, almost certainly bugs will be found, at least, and if we get a fix as
well, I'd be the more happy. :)

> I'm willing to (co?)-mentor. Stefan? Craig? With the three of us we
> could easily mentor at least one student, and perhaps two (if another
> really solid proposal/student comes up).

+1, splitting this will make it easier for everyone. And there will be
support from the lists anyway.

> Anyone else willing to
> mentor? I haven't pushed on GSoC much this year yet because no one's
> stepped up to mentor, but there's still ample time on our side.

Ok, want to sign up the Cython project then?

What became of the Sage proposal, BTW? Will they give a compiled stdlib a try?