[Cython] Rewriting/compiling parts of CPython's stdlib in Cython

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 06:46:01 CEST 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 7:39 AM, Sturla Molden <sturla at molden.no> wrote:

> Cython is,
> without comparison, the easiest way of writing C extensions for Python.
> FWIW, it's easier to use Cython than ctypes. Using Cython instead of the C
> API will also avoid many programming errors, because a compiler does fewer
> mistakes than a human.

Agreed. I did not jump in in the discussion on python-dev because I am
not involved in cython development, but I felt that this point may not
have been obvious for people unfamiliar with cython. Being able to
have less C in python itself sounds like a better goal to me, and even
more useful for alternative implementations than compiling the stdlib
(porting cython must be easier than porting C in almost every case).
One could imagine using cython for most stuff in Modules (I don't know
how much from Modules would be needed for cython itself to solve the
bootstrap issue).

Cython helps making things fast, but it also removes the need to do
raw C wrappers in most cases.

cheers,

David