[Cython] [cython] Initial startswith / endswith optimization (#35)

Robert Bradshaw robertwb at math.washington.edu
Wed May 25 21:51:10 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:37 PM, jpe
<reply+i-954759-90be1c778e144f2c17b3665667d3d62b01062479 at reply.github.com>
wrote:
> This optimizes startswith / endwith optimization for str.

Cool.

>What's unclear to me is how str will be mapped to either bytes or unicode; I assume at some point cython will have a python3 syntax mode where str is unicode, print is a function, etc (if it doesn't have one already).  Should I be using the type name bytes instead of str?

I'm glad you're thinking about this question, some explanation of the
various string types is at
http://wiki.cython.org/enhancements/stringliterals

Probably the way to do this is have one optimization for bytes, one
for unicode, and then have a third type for str that dispatches to the
one or the other depending on the python version (using #define).

- Robert